Starting December 10, 2014, Anthem, a health care plan provider and parent company to Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield, was the victim of a sophisticated cyber attack leaving vulnerable nearly 80 million current and former customers over 14 states.
The information accessed may have included names, dates of birth, Social Security numbers, health care ID numbers, home addresses, email addresses, employment information, and income data. Anthem believes that credit or banking information like claims, test results or diagnostic codes were not targeted or accessed.
Anthem has set up a website www.AnthemFacts.com and a toll-free number 1-877-263-7995, to respond to any questions. Further, Anthem has contracted with the online security comapny All Clear ID to provide two full years of identity theft protection for all Anthem customers dating back to 2004.
To sign up for that service:
1. Go to the websit https://anthem.allclearid.com
2. Enter your name and email address
3. Repeat the process for each family member eligible for this service. You may use the same email address for all family members.
4. Within 72 hours you will receive an email from email@example.com
5. The subject will read "Anthem - Identity Protection Confirmation"
6. You should receive a separate email for each family member.
7. The email(s) will include a phone number, web address and redemption code.
8. You may choose to sign up via telephone or using the web address in the email.
9. You may choose to sign up via telephone or online using the web address in the email.
10. Enter your personal information and redemption code.
11. Enter your family members' personal information and redemption codes.
12. If you wish to receive security alerts by phone, follow the directions on the website to set up this service.